• Catalogue administrator
  • 254 messages
  • July 10, 2013 20:48
added
prices
reviews

The following is from the subject Stamps Motif Birds

It stated the following about theme layers:

(This is an example that plays with stamps, but I think it is also an issue with other collector groups)

Animals (Fauna) is a Theme Layer 1

For example, part of the Theme Animals Layer 2 is

Birds, Butterflies, Fishes, Reptiles, etc..

For example, part of the Theme Birds Layer 3

Stylized birds, Seagulls, Birds of prey, Songbirds etc ..

For example, part of the Theme Birds of Prey Layer 4

Falcons, Owls, Eagles (This four part layer is not available on Catawiki..)

This way you can create layers for many types of themes (Vehicles, Cars, German Cars, BMWs)

For entering and searching, the awareness of the existence of 4 layers (themes / motif) is important to know.

If a stamp with a parrot is entered by someone with the theme parrot and not with birds and animals, a bird or animal searcher will not find this stamp. (similar examples I come across a lot)

It would be nice if you encoded a seal with the theme parrot, that the seal would automatically be encoded with the layers above it. So the system also places it under birds or animals.

(I think the Catawiki team could put all the birds under animals at once!)

Otherwise it will be difficult. A penguin coded only under the animals theme will be missed by the bird and penguin collector. Automatically lowering will not work. That will be a matter of knowledge transfer and information and many administrator corrections .....

Would it be an idea to make a separate handbook for efficient coding of themes if there is enough interest? And also in English?

Or should Catawiki invest in improving the themes by adding several layers?

Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
  • 326 messages
  • July 12, 2013 20:18
added
prices
reviews

It is an interesting discussion, in our themes there are already possibilities here and there to distinguish between theme and motif. for example you can choose peace pigeons or carrier pigeons. does not mean that I am against splitting theme or motif but I do not know if it is realistic to enter this,

- is there man (woman) strength for it? -Is it easy to realize.?

----

personally I find it even more interesting that Catawiki -heard of Marco- is working to find themes throughout the catalog. among the stamp managers there are also several who find this interesting.

suppose, I save puppets and I choose the theme puppets, then I can see apinquins that are on postcards, that are on stamps, penguin figurines, surprise -Eggs and toy pinquins.

or suppose I save everything from the soviet union then i will find via soviet union -f ussr I do not care- everything that has to do with this, so banknotes, stamps, cigar bands , postcards, pins, etc,

or I would like to see everything from a particular painter: it can be on postage stamps, but also on paintings, postcards, etc. and stamp of Russian painting that matched is nice!)

This idea really adds value to a digital catalog for me.

greetings,

elizabeth

Show original message
Miris
SUPER
  • 254 messages
  • July 12, 2013 20:51
added
prices
reviews

Is a good thought, but if I am only interested in stamps, when I look for birds I don't want to see the banknotes in the result. Either you must be able to indicate it per collection area.

Show original message
  • 326 messages
  • July 12, 2013 21:34
added
prices
reviews

I agree

Show original message
Miris
SUPER
  • 254 messages
  • July 25, 2013 20:32
added
prices
reviews

No longer alive this theme, then make sure it comes back to the attention.

Show original message
5of 5