13of 13
  • 4,308 messages
  • June 18, 2020 22:45
added
prices
info pages

I just noticed that someone once changed the story numbers on this Series / Hero:

Album 1 and 2 = V1-1 and V1-2
Album 3 to 5 = V2-1 to V2-3
Album 12 to 16 = V9-1 to V9-4

I honestly don't know the later parts, but personally I find it quite confusing. Is this a format that someone finds meaningful?

Paape himself numbers (from the second part) the records with a code in accordance with the album title (S for Soleils de glace, MT for Maître de Terango, PA for Planète de l'angoisse, etc.).

A brief explanation of the chosen layout (on a background page) would be in order.

P.S. Blueberry also opted for such a different numbering, and there too I doubt its usefulness. But I would like to be convinced that I am wrong ;-)

Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 5,233 messages
  • June 19, 2020 08:51
added
prices
info pages
reviews

That Story Numbers are referred to in this way is also indicated in the Handboek Comics:

15.32.2.2 CONTINUING STORIES
If a story continues over several books, they will get the same sequence number and an extension -1, -2 etc. will be added to the sequence number. For example, The Tintin adventures “Rocket to the Moon” and “Men on the Moon” form one continuous story. "Rocket to the Moon" has story number V14-1 and "Men on the Moon" V14-2.

Show original message
  • 4,308 messages
  • June 19, 2020 11:42
added
prices
info pages

The definition of "continuous story" is often quite subjective. And if it is implemented without further explanation, it is confusing. With Luc Orient, for example, not so much with the aforementioned albums, but with album 6 is V3, with album 7 V4, etc. How do I know why that is?

And how relevant is this information, with this type of series, if the albums themselves are not presented as a diptych or triptych.

Show original message
  • 30 messages
  • June 25, 2020 11:08
prices

During pre-publication, a story could become longer than expected and afterwards spread over several albums, sometimes even cutting into it. The latter because of the maximum number of pages for albums for printing reasons.
The principle was simply to constantly fill a weekly magazine, regardless of whether a story (years) later was printed as an album. This applied to the weekly magazines Spirou / Spirou, Tintin / Kuifje, Sjors, Pilote, Pep.
It is known, for example, that Hubinon wanted to stop the Redbeard series at one point because Charlier could never indicate to him when a story would end. He got fed up with that. Their collaboration with Buck Danny went better.

There are some continuous Luc Orient stories over several albums, but I don't know which ones by heart. I'll take a look at it.
The Blueberry series also has a few cycles, right from the start. And those are important if you don't want to indent just through a summary. Even those summaries in the albums came from the weekly magazines, where there was sometimes some time between the pre-releases. Sometimes there is still a discussion about which albums belong to one cycle and which ones indicate a new cycle.

Stories were not presented as two, three or more parts when that was not yet a marketing technique to bind customers. You can also assume that nowadays it is assumed that readers can no longer handle surprises and wish to know in advance how long a story will last ...

In comics from the last century, you can usually only notice whether one continuous story has been released over several separate albums by reading it. It is rarely, if ever, on the back of early editions. At most at the last picture of the story, where something is mentioned about a sequel.

Show original message
  • 1,565 messages
  • June 25, 2020 18:15
added
prices
reviews

but album 6 says V3, album 7 V4, etc. How do I know why that is?

The V numbering indicates storylines and should not be confused with an album. A story can extend over several albums.

Luc Orient's first stories are seen as multi-part cycles.

Parts 1 and 2 are in fact 1 story that takes place in a jungle on our own mother Earth. (V1-1 + V1-2)

This is followed by 3 stories that take place on Terrango. The stories follow each other and do have a continuous line. (V2-1, V2-2 and V2-3).

That is why V3 is added to album 6. The stories have been released in the 44 page format per volume in, among others, Tintin and Pep and are therefore not the result of a variable ending.

In addition, the story numbering also indicates the order in which the stories were created. This is not the same as the order in which they were issued.

Jonathan Cartland bv has only released the 1st story as the 4th album.

Show original message
  • 4,308 messages
  • June 25, 2020 18:23
added
prices
info pages

Those are good arguments, although they are still inconclusive for me personally.

My biggest criticism, however, is: how am I (or rather, the average user) to know that this is how it works, if it is not mentioned anywhere in the catalog?

For the same money, someone has completely devised this format.

That is also the reason why I made a background page at Blueberry. There is also a difference of opinion about the different cycles, but at least it is clear what the classification is based on

Show original message
  • 1,565 messages
  • June 25, 2020 19:02
added
prices
reviews

Comics are not an exact science. As a result, there are different visions around an item such as story numbering, which can all be well substantiated.

When creating a catalog, you start from 1 of these visions and try to apply it consistently.

The principle of V-numbering is explained in the manual. The application of the V numbering is done by administrators and expert collectors who know the series well.

Blueberry is a very notorious one because this series consists of several cycles interwoven in several sub-series (spin-offs). For the average layman / collector this is an unfathomable puzzle.

Show original message
  • 30 messages
  • June 25, 2020 20:14
prices

I see indeed that the number of pages has already been kept the same for these stories. Until the story "24 hours for planet Earth" it is 44 and with that story and beyond it has become 46 plates.

With Luc Orient, I would place the story divisions when reading:

V1-1 The Valley of the Three Suns
V1-2 The Frozen Zombies
V2-1 The Master of Terango
V2-2 The Planet of Fear
V2-3 The forest of steel
V3 The secret of the 7 rays
V4 The Crater of Sorceries
V5 The Legion of the Damned Angels
V6 24 hours for the planet Earth
V7 The 6th continent
V8 The Valley of Disturbed Waters
V9-1 The crystal gate
V9-2 The Anvil of Lightning
V9-3 The Planet of Frenzy
Q9-4 Rubak, last hope
V10 Caragal
V11 Appointment at 8 pm in hell ...

... and now that I just check in the catalog, it turns out the same there.

Incidentally, I don't think it's that complicated at Blueberry, if you (re) read the stories.

Show original message
  • 1,565 messages
  • June 25, 2020 20:42
added
prices
reviews

By the way, I don't think it's that complicated at Blueberry, if you (re) read the stories.

The Blueberry series is so complex that we actually lack an extra layer in the database to properly display this series.

Blueberry is the main series but can be divided into Lieutenant Blueberry, Mister Blueberry, Marshall Blueberry and the early years of Blueberry where several authors have worked on.

The different early years variants have the only similarity that they take place in the American Civil War, but in terms of historical timeline are intertwined ...

To increase the festive spirit, the publisher uses an illogical order in terms of album numbering with, among others, the Blanc-Dumont versions because they have tried to classify them in a logical order ...

Due to the many publishers of the variants, we have a jumble of album numbers. We know at least 6 different albums with the number 1 in this series ...

We have simpler series in our catalog :)

Show original message
Morits
POWER
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 4,226 messages
  • June 25, 2020 21:14
added
prices
reviews

At first Hans Matla did not make this up of his mind. If you know Hans Matla then you also know that he has spent his entire life portraying all the comic strips through his catalogs. A lot of and very tiring work but he did it so that everyone could benefit from it. Catawiki will only continue on its chosen path. If you want to know, pick up his latest catalog, already that of 1998 ...

Show original message
  • 1,565 messages
  • June 25, 2020 21:17
added
prices
reviews

With our comic catalog, we are undoubtedly indebted to predecessors such as Hans Matla, Peter Bonte or Peter Ottens in classifying our catalog items.

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • June 25, 2020 21:29
added
prices
info pages
reviews

On the understanding that we use a slightly different story numbering provision than Matla.

Show original message
  • 30 messages
  • June 25, 2020 21:49
prices

Nevertheless, the "complexity at Blueberry" will mainly arise from the (understandable) wishes regarding the method of categorization. The starting point of (re) editions chronologically also counts and naming.
Something that cannot be changed (anymore). Even if you wanted to.

But the reading order of the stories in that comic series is easy to explain.
Especially the main series:
Blueberry (whether or not "lieutenant", "nothing" or "mister") from "Fort Navajo" to "Dust".

And the spin-offs:
Young years 1 to 3 (the adapted Pilote pockets / Pepparade stories by Charlier and Giraud)
Early Years (by various others)
Marshall Blueberry
Apaches
and now also the album of Sfar / Blain

But a topic about Luc Orient is of course not the right place to talk about this.

Show original message
13of 13